Welcome on board the Movement Wisdom 200 Hour Online Yoga Teacher Training!
I am honored and excited that you chose this course! Below you'll find everything you need to prepare for the training and our time together.
August to November 2022
- The guided group training takes place over the course of 16 training weeks plus 1 break week (after training week 7). The course starts on Monday, August 1st 2022 and ends in the last week of November.
- Covering 200 hours' worth of content in 16 weeks means that there will be approximately 12 to 13 hours of coursework every week. Most of the coursework happens online and on your own schedule.
- Our weekly live Zoom calls are the important exception to this rule. There will be 2 options available and all students are required to join one of the two calls. These calls last 2 hours and are reserved for Q&A with Jess as well as teaching practices in small groups.
- If you don't plan to or can't manage to finish the training in 16 weeks, it's not a problem! You have one whole year to complete all classes and exams and receive your certificate.
- This is a Yoga Alliance International certified 200 hour teacher training which means that once you have successfully completed the program and received your certificate, you will be able to register with the Yoga Alliance.
- You can find more detailed information about the course and our schedule here →
Get extended course access
- Do you know somebody who's interested in taking a yoga teacher training? We would greatly appreciate it if you sent them our way.
- As a thank you we will extend your access to all YTT contents for an extra 180 days!
- On top of that, we'll even throw in a €100 discount for your friend / family member / fellow yogi.
- Simply tell them to mention your name in the intake form where we ask if they have been referred to the program.
- Don't hesitate to contact us about any further questions.
Learning Platform, Facebook, Google Drive
- The entire course is hosted on our learning platform of choice. It's very intuitive and easy to navigate. And we'll support you with any technical questions. You might have already created an account after registering for the course. If not, go ahead and do so before the training start. If you run into difficulties, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our group communication before, during and after the training (asking questions, sharing resources, announcements from Jess) happens almost exclusively in a private Facebook group. Jess will send you an invite one week before the training start. If you are not on Facebook, please consider creating an account if only for the duration of the training.
- Finally, you'll need a Google Drive account to share teaching practices, asana selfies and other homework with Jess. To get a google drive account, you do not necessarily need an @gmail email address. It's enough to connect your existing email with the Google ecosystem. Once again: If you don't have a Google drive account yet, please consider creating one.
- For all technical questions you can contact email@example.com. Please do not contact Jess with anything relating to technology (she would just pass it along anyways =D).
We need your exact address
The training manual is a gift.
We'll have it shipped to the address you provided on your intake form. (If you need to update your address, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your new address.)
- We'll do our best to ship the manual as early as possible but depending on your sign-up date it might arrive after the training start. In case you'd like us to ship it express, please send an email to email@example.com. In this case we would ask you to pay for shipping.
- As you surely know, we offer all our students a Satisfaction guarantee which allows you to drop out of the course and get a full refund up to 7 days after the training start. But please note that should you decide to drop out after we've already sent you your course manual, we will have to charge you €100 for the manual plus whatever we paid for shipping.
A couple of fantastic books!
Please have a look through these texts before the course begins in order to prepare yourself as best as possible for our philosophy and anatomy lectures.
And don't worry! You are not expected to have read them all by the training start.
Depending on your background, experiences and interests you may find one or several of these texts challenging. That's normal! Don't panic. Don't be afraid. Just try your best and spend some time with these books before the training.
Try to understand the main concepts and familiarize yourself with the vocabulary of the human body and yoga philosophy. You can then read these books again after the training when they will be much easier to understand!
If you cannot find these exact editions of the Yoga Sutras or the Bhagavad Gita, then feel free to use different ones. These are simply Jess' favorite translations.
Many more fantastic books!
These books are also highly recommended for you to read at some point in the future. They'll give you deep insight into the diverse practice of yoga as well as anatomy, and teaching.
- Your Spine, Your Yoga by Bernie Clark
- Anatomy of Movement by Blandine Calais-Germain
- Yoga: Fascia, Anatomy and Movement by J. Avison
- The Key Muscles of Yoga: Scientific Keys, Volume I by Dr. Ray Long
- The Anatomy Coloring Book by Kapit & Elson
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff & Amy Matthews
Hatha Yoga + Pranayama
- Light on Pranayama by B.K.S. Iyengar
- Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar
Yin & Restorative Yoga
- The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga: The Philosophy and Practice of Yin Yoga by Bernie Clark
- Insight Yoga by Sarah Powers
- The Language of Yin by Gabrielle Harris
- The Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson
- Relax and Renew by Judith Hanson Lasater
Ancient Yoga Philosophy
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika (no particular translator)
- The Ten Principle Upanishads by Shree Purohit Swami and W.B. Yeats
- The Upanishads by P. Olvielle
Hindu / Yoga Philosophy
- The Yoga Tradition by Georg Feuerstein
- The Origins and Development of Classical Hinduism by A.L. Basham
Teaching + Career Skills
- Courage to Teach by Parker Palmer
- The Art and Business of Teaching Yoga by Amy Ippoliti
Asana + Class Theming
- Myths of the Asanas by Alanna Kaivalya
- Theme Weaver by Michelle Marchildon
Buddhism + Meditation
- A Path With Heart by Jack Kornfield
- The Path is the Goal by Chögyam Trungpa
Prepare your mind
Put aside some time to write in a notebook, digital document or journal and come to the training with a better understanding of yourself - past, present, and who you hope to be in the future.
- Who do you want to be?
- What kind of person?
- What do you love to do?
- What do you value?
- What makes you feel alive?
- What are your assets?
- What are you good at?
- What are your talents and strengths?
- What are your gifts?
- What are your liabilities?
- What are your foibles, flaws, weaknesses?
- What does yoga mean to you?
- What is your reason for wanting to be a yoga teacher?
- What is your mission in teaching yoga?
- What do you hope to contribute to your life, and the world by being one?
Prepare your body
We will be on the mat up to 5 hours per week practicing and learning about asana. To prepare for this kind of physical activity I recommend increasing the frequency and duration of your yoga practice in the weeks and months leading up to the training.
Your body will acclimate after the first few weeks, but just so your first week or two are more enjoyable, you might want to make sure you are practicing 4-6x a week for a minimum of 60 minutes and up to 3 hours if time allows on some days. This is more of an ideal goal, in an ideal world, so don’t worry if you cannot increase this much before the training begins. Again, your body will get used to it as we go, but it’s best to be as prepared as you can!
- Now is a great time to get used to my classes and learn a bit more about my teaching style. Not only will this help you meet your practice goals, it will familiarize you with Jess' energy and style of teaching, cues, themes and sequencing. This way you'll be much more “synced up” and ready to roll when the training starts. You can find a catalogue of Jess' programs, classes and tutorials here.
- Yoga and meditation are two practices that have gone hand in hand since the early days of both practices. During this course, we'll meditate regularly, and as a yoga teacher, you will probably be asked at some point about your meditation practice, and if you are able to lead meditation.
- You will learn a lot about meditation during the training, but before we meet online, take some time to sit in stillness and silence or follow some guided meditations.
Prepare your space
In order to make this training a complete success, we recommend that you create a warm, inspiring, beautiful yoga space for your practice and studies. This doesn't have to be a whole room, or even a large area. It might just be big enough to fit your yoga mat and a few decorations plus your laptop. Get creative with plants, candles, incense, music, fairy lights, an altar, crystals, a Tibetan singing bowl or any special thing makes you feel passionate and excited to get on your mat.
Here are the props you will need for this training:
- A laptop or tablet and a good internet connection
- A high quality yoga mat - my favorites are the eco-friendly mats from Manduka and Jade Yoga
- 2 yoga blocks - large foam blocks or eco-friendly cork blocks
- 1 large yoga bolster - my favorites are the ones that are filled with eco-friendly kapok
- 1 extra long yoga strap
- 2 yoga blankets (or any blanket from your home) - my favorite are Mexican blankets
- If you have any questions about props or setting up your personal yoga sanctuary, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
No risk for you!
We are happy to offer you a Satisfaction guarantee. Here is what that means exactly:
- Should you not be satisfied with the quality of the course, you have the chance to get a full refund.
- In order to get the refund, you need to drop out of the course within the first 7 days of the course. The training starts on a Monday, so we would need your written "letter of resignation" before Sunday 11:59 pm.
- A simple email will do. But please take some time to really help us understand why you weren't satisfied with the program.
- We issue refunds within 30 days.
Okay, I think that's it for now.
Enjoy the time leading up to the training. Fill your body and mind with anticipation. Prepare yourself for the journey of a lifetime. I can't wait to meet you!